Buzzer delivers the moments that matter to you most. The platform offers a seamless user and viewing experience by aggregating and organizing live sports streaming rights into one cohesive and accessible mobile platform and allowing its users to set up customized alerts based on their preferences. The app is personalized for fans and will be authenticated through existing subscriptions or secure micropayments to buy only and exactly what they want to watch. Buzzer recently raised a Series A investment round that included notable athlete investors such as Michael Jordan, Naomi Osaka, Patrick Mahomes, and Sabrina Ionescu.
We celebrate our community of fans who are fueled by their passion for sports. Founded in New York, our growing remote team is driven by our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion to create more opportunities for communities of color. This is how we bring people together.
Our values represent who we are and what we stand for: level the playing field, build bridges, be transparent, celebrate human achievement and practice steward leadership.
Buzzer is seeking an experienced Mobile Engineer to join the Engineering team in support of the development and improvement of the Buzzer mobile application. This is a critical role on our mobile team to build a scalable and accurate solution to serve customers personalized notifications regarding upcoming moments that matter most to the fan. If you’re creative, goal-driven, and love working in a fast-paced environment alongside passionate colleagues, we want to meet you.
As a Mobile Engineer you’ll be an integral part of the creative Mobile team at Buzzer and will help us develop new features that take advantage of the latest trends in the Android ecosystem. The ideal candidate is proficient in Kotlin, able to clearly communicate with other developers and non-technical teammates, and strives to constantly improve quality of engineering through code reviews, tech talks, pair programming and other collaborative practices. We value good coding practices, solid design patterns, and follow principles for sustainable technology solutions in an agile environment.
Buzzer is presently a fully distributed team, which will require the ideal candidate to be collaborative, proactive, and comfortable working remotely. The Mobile Engineer reports directly to the Mobile Engineering Manager and works directly with the Engineering and Product teams composed of our Product Managers, UX Designers, and engineers, and may collaborate with the broader Operations and Partnerships teams.
In this role you will:
- Mobile Engineering: Directly work on the implementation and development of our native Android mobile application. Work on bugs, documentation, tests, and more in order to unblock the team and increase their performance.
- Collaborate: Work closely with other Engineering teams (ie. QA, Platform, etc.) to identify and meet their needs in a collaborative, agile environment. Work with your Engineering Manager to continuously improve our Engineering team and processes.
- Continuous Integration and Deployment: Create and maintain continuous integration and deployment processes, ensuring the entire CI/CD pipeline works as intended until App release.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience developing native Android apps using Kotlin
- Mastery of best-practice mobile architecture and modular design, including patterns such as MVVM
- Knowledge of layouts, themes, styles, views, and other Android UI concepts especially pertaining to Material Design Guidelines
- Experience integrating with RESTful web services
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux and source control systems, including Git
- Familiarity with Firebase Tools, such as RealtimeDB, Analytics, Authentication, etc
- Experience implementing Notifications and In-App Purchases
- Ability to write and execute unit tests for mobile applications and components
- Solid engineering and coding skills with good understanding of data structures and asynchronous programming
- Empathetic, values-driven, and eager to contribute to a broader team culture
- Bonus: Experience in building video streaming experiences, specifically sports media applications
Buzzer is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About Strive: Buzzer’s Commitment to Social Impact
Strive is an intentional and impactful initiative that will utilize Buzzer’s unifying platform to invest in equitable outcomes for Black, Indigenous and People of Color. Buzzer is dedicated to leveling the playing field through our company’s mission, values, product and financial tools in order to create more opportunities for communities of color. Strive will serve as that vehicle for Buzzer to drive positive change and outcomes in our society.
Our Strive Impact Model is designed to invest in these communities through three strategies:
- Equity: 1% of the company’s equity will be protected and allocated to ‘leveling the playing field.’ This fund will ensure that Strive is prioritized and scales at the same rate of our growth. The reinvestment will support Strive’s mission, partners and causes. As our investment in this area grows, the company grows.
- Net Profits: 1% of net profits will be reinvested into partnering non-profits focused on enhancing and empowering Black communities and communities of color. This near-term solution is meant to partner and contribute to impactful organizations that are providing resources and support for our future leaders and customers.
- Consumer Engagement: Invite participation and engagement from each and every Buzzer customer to effect change through partnerships with non-profit organizations aligned to Strive's mission and vision. The ambition of this commitment is to leverage the Buzzer product to highlight opportunities for consumers to engage with and learn about organizations that are investing in communities of color.
Buzzer is proud to share that our first product was the Strive Mentorship program, a global mentorship program connecting over 500 industry professionals with over 500 Black college students predominantly from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other universities. This mentorship program ultimately inspired the Strive initiative and represents our ambitions to lead by doing the right thing for our potential customers, partners, and employees.