Senior Manager, Corporate Media Relations
The Senior Manager, Corporate Media Relations will play a vital role with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Corporate Communications team. The role will work across the organization to drive positive and consistent local and national publicity for the Cavaliers and Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. This candidate will partner with communications to develop and support strategic PR plans that tell a concise and engaging story, ignite a call to action, shape brand identity, and achieve organizational goals and objectives.
This includes working with partnerships, marketing, technology, social media, and other departments to promote a positive image of the organization, garner positive ongoing press coverage and generate earned media. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of developing and sustaining positive relationships with media, developing and pitching effective storylines, and tracking and measuring media outreach results.
This position will be responsible for proactive media pitching, writing press materials, assisting in the planning and executing press events, and staffing and coordinating media interviews. The role will also develop other written messages and presentations for internal and external audiences and attend weekend and evening events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cultivate and sustain media relationships that result in positive media coverage for the organization—current national media relationships with national sports, business, and lifestyle media are a plus.
- Develop strategic communications for Cleveland Cavaliers announcements, events, and promotions.
- Arrange and coordinate public appearances, speaking engagements and public relations programs that maintain ongoing contact between organization representatives and the public.
- Provide information to media outlets by generating news releases and articles, arranging press conferences, and acting as a media liaison to disseminate information to inform and educate the public.
- Support Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse events and concerts and assist with events, when needed.
- Monitor media coverage and fulfill media queries for information.
- Continually develop creative ideas for media stories, social posts, events, and other promotional efforts.
- Maintain an active presence with all internal and external stakeholders, including coordinating with various departments to ensure messaging and media communications are managed appropriately and to achieve maximum benefit for the organization.
- Ability to work effectively and exercise good judgment in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented, and at times high-stress environment.
- In addition, this position needs to be detail-oriented and organized, have excellent communication skills (both writing and building strong working relationships), and have the ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Experience with PR/Communications monitoring tools like Cision, Critical Mention, or Muck Rack is preferred.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including game nights, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, Marketing, or a related field.
- At least 3-5 years of public relations and media relations experience is preferred and is a plus if prior experience is in the fields of corporate sports, lifestyle, culture or entertainment communications.
- Must be able to showcase strong writing and editing skills through portfolio work.
- Must showcase proficiency in PowerPoint, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Pages, Keynote, and other related presentation and graphics software through portfolio work.
- An independent, self-starter who routinely brings actionable ideas to the table. Can prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Team player; organized, can prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Has an appropriate level of knowledge regarding local, regional and national media platforms, as well as emerging media trends and storylines.
- Experience with media monitoring tools, including Muckrack, Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater or other similar services.
- Available to work games, evenings, and weekends.